In Reception the children will participate in PE lessons following the requirements stated in the EYFS. Pupils should develop fundamental movement skills, become increasingly competent and confident and access a broad range of opportunities to extend their agility, balance and coordination, individually and with others. They should be able to engage in competitive (both against self and against others) and co-operative physical activities, in a range of increasingly challenging situations.
- To develop physical competence, stamina and strength;
- To develop an appreciation of the value of participation in sustained physical activity;
- To develop the concepts of fair play, team work and good sportsmanship;
- To gain satisfaction and pleasure from physical activity;
- To develop the skills necessary to be able to plan, perform and evaluate physical performance;
- To teach children an awareness of safe practice through physical education.
- To engage in competitive sports and activities
- To lead healthy active lives
Teaching and Learning
Our planning is based on the National Curriculum 2014 and carefully tailored to maximise our resources, expertise and the needs of our children.In the Early years and KS1 aims will be achieved through dance, multi-skills and gymnastics activities. At KS2 pupils continue to apply and develop a range of skills and units of work include a range of invasion, net / wall, and fielding and striking games, gymnastics, dance, athletics and swimming. We also enrich children’s experiences through opportunities for outdoor and adventurous activities. All children in KS1 will experience three sessions of PE per week totalling two hours. Children in KS2 will have 2 PE sessions a week totalling two hours. Our main learning is planned using Val Sabin Gymnastics and Dance, LCP PE Schemes of work and is supplemented with other materials eg Lets go Zudie-O, Time to Dance. We use Jim Hall for KS1 multiskills/team games.